Named after Janet Wilson, wife of the Bannockburn weaver, William Wilson who manufactured tartans from 1765. It is suggested in the extensive archives of the company that the tartan was prepared for the wedding in 1780 between the William Wilson, the son of the founder, and Janet Paterson. The sett was later introduced as the Clan Wilson family tartan. 1997, Variations show blue instead of purple in the broad band and blue instead of azure (light blue) in the narrow stripes. / Wilsons of Bannockburn a weaving firm founded c1770 near Stirling,/The Pattern books are in the National Museum of Antiquities, Edinburgh./ Copys of the Pattern books and letters in the Scottish Tartans Society archive.